How Much can a 2×2 grow tent yield? In times of being quarantined because of COVID19, have you ever thought of doing something to keep yourself busy aside from watching Netflix, tapping nonstop on your phone’s screen or staring at your fridge daydreaming about Gordon Ramsay popping out of nowhere, yelling to get your lazy ass moving?… None? How about getting ahead of some people’s thinking. What will you do if Apocalypse happens and you end up surviving it? How long will you last? Can you go on for days with an apocalyptic world?
Well, these thoughts are far from reality, but who knows. A bit of farming knowledge might keep you alive for a long…long while. Let’s start with a home-based planting session. Do you know that some people use this type of method to start their very own cannabis cultivation? Yes. It’s a typical way of hoarding those “magic plants”. But let’s not stray to that side. We’re opting for something different here. Some people call it a 21st-century farming technique… Well, kind of like the Farmville customized version in a small or huge Tent. To be exact, Grow Tent.
What is a Grow Tent?
A grow tent is a compact, reusable grow room made of a durable canvas exterior. It actually has reflective interior material. It improves the efficacy of its built-in grow lights. Grow tents include an enclosed area with one or more grow lights. It also has an area to grow a hydroponic indoor garden.
The tent system also provides insulation. It helps maintain the heat that the grow lights generate when promoting plant growth.
They are available in different shapes and sizes to accommodate different needs. Smaller grow tents are available for horticulturists looking to grow a few plants. Bigger ones are for those growing a full garden throughout the winter.
What’s the best setup to maximize your yield?
Maximizing yield is the key to your cultivation success. While trial and error is one path, it’s not the only option. The industry’s most important tools are season-growers. They are always eager to share their expertise, we should all be thankful for that. Another option is that you should turn to your mate, Google, for some advice.
Since we’re doing Indoor, here are some responses to help you get the most out of your crop.
- Start with Good, Fresh, Healthy Pick of your seeds. Talk about QUALITY here. You can find a range of seeds at your nearest hardware store. Yup. Hardware shop. To those of you who don’t know this, most hardware stores don’t only sell hammer and nails. They do seeds too and it comes in a variety.
- Maintain a Comfortable Environment for the Plant. You need to pay close attention to this. Grow tent hardly extends its areas. You need to make sure the seeds that you planted are in the way the instructions are telling you. If it says, put 3 seeds in a pot, make sure it’s 3 and not “I put them all by accident.” It’s like human relationships, in order for the love to blossom you must give it space. I’m low-key telling you to maintain your environment in a precise way. Keep the pots at a certain distance. Check what kind of plant needs more heat and what kind that hardly needs light. That said because heat rises and cold sinks, we find that inevitable. You’re still going to get a bit of a warmer upper level and a cooler lower level. So we try to adjust the level, on maybe a … lift or a stairwell-to put our plants that need the least amount of attention on the top. Strains that are stretchy and need more attention and … manicuring on the bottom. The bottom plants always tend to get attention and love, and the top plants always tend to get a little neglect. Based on that. But that’s fine.
- Group Plants with Similar Requirements. In the boxy environment, you’re kind of pushed to grow only a specific kind of plant. Remember that you’re not making a jungle or playing games like the one installed on some kids’ phones. It’s a small space you’re dealing with. 2×2 to be precise. With that, try to group your plants that finish at the same time and prefer the same environment.
- Boost Yields with CO². Most cultivators know CO² does boost your yields up. Basic knowledge.
- Choose the Right Plants for Your Environment. I should have put this on the number 2 spot. Yet we choose the plants we wanted to have rather than choosing something we didn’t like. Because of the temperature. This is where #2 is applicable.
- Check it on a regular basis and grow it accordingly. I know it’s a human flaw to have Lazy bones installed somewhere in our bodies. But, please do know that once you start this, it needs your full attention daily. Like your whiney partners wanting some love. Yes, plants can be romantic too. So take good care of it, or else fail to be prepared when the apocalypse comes.
What Is the Purpose of A Grow Tent?
If you want to garden year-round. Have an unused indoor area, consider growing edibles under a grow tent. You can grow vegetables, leafy greens, and fig trees to cauliflower or tomatoes. There are plenty of choices for what you can plant in your grow tent.
Grow tents help gardeners build ideal growing conditions indoors. They are usually made out of lightweight materials. It includes fans, lights, and even carbon filters. The reflective coating on the inside helps avoid hot spots.
Seedlings benefit much from the enclosed atmosphere. It gives you, the grower, full control over climate, and lighting.
Here is the list:
- FRESH GARDEN – You can grow your favorite salad greens and more from seeds or seedlings whenever. It’s easy and convenient.
- SPACE SAVER – Come to think of it, you don’t need a huge lot to cover up your garden ideas. You can grow something in a small “closet” type tent. You will control the environment. You don’t need to worry about temperature and light fluctuations. It isn’t heavy so that moving them around, even with your plants inside, is no concern.
- CLEAN AIR FOR YOUR PLANTS – Grow tents come with air filtration systems. It will enhance the circulation of clean air in the tent. Filtration device collects air from the interior parts of the grow tent. Through a filter that is carbon activated it releases it outside the tent.
- LIGHTING EFFICIENCY – Tents use a reflective material inside. It maximizes and intensifies the light. Walls absorb and scatter the light. It exposes the plants to a greater concentration of sun while growing indoors. It helps your plant to optimize its growth potential.
- EASY SET-UP – You don’t have to be a grade A+ gardener to figure out how to build and use a grow tent. They are perfect for beginners. It’s time for you to dance and sing your way to farming fresh foods.
How Many Plants Will Fit In a 2×2 Grow Tent?
Wondering how to fill your tent’s small space with your ideal garden/farming plants? Easy. You should fit 4 in 2-gallon pots under that much space. A lot of beginners use that to grow the seeds before transplanting them into bigger pots. But if you switch them to 12/12 with a bit of trimming you should be good. You could grow any strain that’s not a big sativa stretcher, or do some height management when needed.
Also, if you’re planning to be planting something which has a very short strain., eg. Strawberry Kush. You can grow 1-3 plants, and that would be ideal. You can try growing 10 micro plants in a 2 x 2 x 4 tent, but let me tell you it’s a lot of work, it will be too much work!
At the end of the day, it all depends on your pot size. Some may want to overcrowd it, some may want to see space. It’s a learning experience… Some things sound complicated at first but as time goes on they become simple. As long as you grow and harvest, I’d say you’re good. The only way to find out is to try it out.
How Many Watts of Light You Can Use in a 2×2 Grow Tent?
The typical LED grow light spot of about 32 watts to envelop 1 sq. ft. for flowering. Distinguish this to a typical HID fixture which hardly rings in at 40 watts per square foot. Assuming a 5’ x 5’ area. Use an HID grow light in a 4’ x 4’. It will bring the power coverage up to 62.5 watts per sq. feet. The energy resources that growers can count on from using LED grow lights instead of HID is around 38%. This energy savings only takes into account. Savings growers their gain when using LED fixtures. It does not account for other environmental factors where growers can save energy. For example, less ventilation and air conditioning may be used, or foregone completely. It depends on the size of the setup and ambient temperatures. Total power savings may escalate above 50% in some views.
Although, LEDs are different. They produce less heat and create a specific light spectrum. It can still emit a strong intensity of light, which can still irritate plants if they get too close. This is why some LED manufacturers will reflect their lenses by 60 or 90 degrees. The light from it is too intense to shoot them right at the plants.
The best method of providing light to plants in grow tents is overhead lighting. It installed some distance away from the plants. The wall’s reflection covering ensures most of the light released by the bulb. It helps the plants get more of what they need, despite the lights not being as close as they could be.
It ensures there is uniform lighting across the whole room. All plants should grow to be healthy, including those right below the bulb. But not too close!
Tips of Growing Plants in your 2×2 Grow Tent
- Choose the Best Area for Your Grow Tent. Select an area or location that can be dedicated to the tent for at least a few months. The area will need electricity and easy access to water, so be ready.
- Allow for Extra Space to Grow in Your Grow Tent. Your indoor garden will take up more space than the grow tent itself. —you’ll need somewhere to store extra supplies and equipment.
- Consider using two Grow Tents or use one Big Tent!
- Check the Quality of Your Grow Tent. Check the stability and design of the frame. It should not have to support much more weight than the shell and the light fixture. It should not appear flimsy once assembled. Look at the stitching and quality of the shell. Pay particular attention to the front zipper, as this zipper tends to be the most used. From personal experience, avoid tents made in cheap materials. Assembling bottom-of-the-line tents can be problematic. The difference in quality is magnified by daily use.
- Read the Grow Tent Instructions. It’s not the Sudoku puzzle. It will be easy.
- Make sure the Lights are Efficient with the Size of Your Grow Tent. Level the size of your lighting fixtures to the cooling ability of your tent.
- Don’t start this when you’re not in a good mood. Once the tide starts rising once again, expect a total failure for this. And a good fortune has gone to waste. This needs a bit of dedication and love. You’re not Grinch.
- Caught the love of your life cheating? Don’t worry! This is best when heartbroken and you want to find peace and serenity. Planting will help you ease your broken heart in the meantime.
- In the light of COVID19, BE PRODUCTIVE. We can do this!