There’s a range of leaf mulchers in the market to pick from, (standalone, electric-powered, or gas-powered). And how your leaf mulcher is powered is another aspect to consider when buying one. Whatever model you decide on should make each gardening experience worthwhile.
- WORX 13 Amp Electric Leaf Mulcher
- 13.2 x 22.6 x 22.6 in
- 20 lbs
- 13 AMP
- Read review
- Sun Joe SDJ616 Shredder Joe 13-Amp
- 21.3 x 21.3 x 49.2 in
- 13.4 lbs
- 13 AMP
- Read review
- Flowtron LE-900 The Ultimate Mulcher Electric Leaf Shredder
- 19.5 x 19.5 x 23 in
- 17 lbs
- 5.9 AMP
- Read review
- GudCraft Leaf Mulcher Leaf-Eater Electric Leaf Shredder
- 18.7 x 17.8 x 17.6 in
- 17 lbs
- 8 AMP
- Read review
- WORX TURBINE Fusion Leaf Blower, Mulcher, and Vacuum
- " 13 x 10 x 40 in"
- 10 lbs
- 12 AMP
- Corded Electric
- Read review
The primary considerations you will have to think about are where you are going to use the leaf mulcher. Hence, how often you will use it as this will help tailor the specifications of your final choice.
How much leaves you desire to clear up.
If your garden is small, definitely get a smaller, lower-power mulcher. Most people will be better off with a blower or a combination of blower and vac. But if you have a larger garden and more amount of leaves, then you'll need a longer-lasting and stronger machine to get the dirty job done. If you have a large area to cover, don't skimp on the machinery, as you'll regret it later.
Do you desire to remove the litter too?
If your answer to this is yes, a simple straight garden vac without shredding is your best bet for the task at hand. Now, note that they are not as great when picking up and storing wet leaves is the primary function. But, they're a versatile time-saver.
The average size of your yard.
The above factor is a major point to consider when picking your mulcher. Vacuums are usually more suited for small yards and owners of big gardens prefer mulch mowers. But, you must know that standalone mulchers work well for lawns of all sizes.
Type of Bush that is Going to be cleared.
For those living in a wet climate, we would recommend that you find a model made for shredding wet material. Worthy of taking note of is the type of bush you are trying to destroy. All mulchers can handle leaves and small twigs. But, homeowners who are trying to shred branches into wood chips, are advised to buy a mulcher with a lot of horsepowers.
Ease and Comfort of Use.
What are your gardening needs? What are the needs of your lawn? Models that are lightweight or easy to assemble will save you energy in the long run. That extra time can be put into doing other things.
It is not advisable to focus on only brand names when choosing a leaf mulcher, though. But, here are some established and reputable brands that are worth keeping an eye out for when shopping.
-Black & Decker
Best Leaf Mulchers
This unit is very simplistic in operation. Actually, it's a no-brainer to operate and it features a 13" cutting diameter. It can mulch around 53 gallons of leaves a minute. Also, it assembles fast without tools and easy to store when not in use. This mulcher comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- 13 Amp motor that mulches up to 53 gallons of leaves per minute, deposits debris into a bag (not included).
- The flex-a-line bladeless system uses a thick trimmer line to achieve an 11:1 mulching ratio.
- Tool-free, quick to assemble and disassemble for convenient and compact storage.
- The Worx leaf mulcher features a clean air motor cooling system. Also, a secure start-stop system.
- Includes 13 Amp Leaf Mulcher, 24 cutting lines, bag support ring, and manufacturer’s 3-year warranty
Usually, using a conventional gas shredder or mulcher to shred leaves comes with the problem of noise pollution. Hence, backed up by the release of noxious air. Thankfully, with the electric WORX Leaf Mulcher, you can put the 'green' back in 'green thumb.'
At less than 20 pounds, the unit is compactly designed. In such a way that the disassembled parts nest together. They do not pose any problem for storage, when not in use, on a shelf in your shed or garage. Setup takes only a few minutes, with no extra tools required!
This mulcher will make fall cleanup fast and easy!
|Its quick to assemble and disassemble feature stands out as you can do this even without the help of tools.||It may spit debris. So, you need to have extra protective gear on.|
|It has an 11:1 mulch ratio which is very great as this reduces most of the mulch.|
|The machine is also very fast, and it will not take too much of your time.|
|It also has a very stable assembly unit and easy to use controls.|
|The universal bag holder can accommodate any bag.|
This shredder is powerful. It has this 13 Amp motor with 8000 RPM. It can mulch up to 12 Gallon of leaves per minute.
This unit might be the best leaf shredder for you if you like portable equipment. This shredder is quite compact and lightweight and does not occupy a lot of space in your storage area.
You can also adjust the controls depending on the amount of moisture in the waste you want to mulch. The Mulcher reduces your yard waste up to 1/16th its original size.
- Powerful 13 Amp motor with 8000 RPM mulches up to 12 Gallon (46 L) of leaves per minute.
- It reduces the required waste up to 1/16th in its original size.
- It attaches to leaf bag-lined trash container for easy disposal and convenience.
- Adjustable control dial with settings for both yard waste of varying consistency, i.e. wet or dry.
- A dust-reducing motor cooling system that produces a much cleaner air when the machine is running. It is also lightweight and compact, making it portable hence aiding easy storage.
The Shredder Joe electric mulcher assembles in minutes with no tools required! Twenty, effortless to install, replacement cutting lines are also included.
|This mulcher is powerful and mulching any yard waste is a piece of cake.||It is a bit less efficient with wet leaves.|
|It can attach to a leaf bag lined trash container, and this makes disposal a lot easier.|
|The adjustable controls for wet and dry yard waste mean that it is capable of being used in any season.|
|The motor is also dust reducing. This means you don’t have to worry about your respiratory system as you operate it.|
|It also uses electric power. Thus, it is eco-friendly.|
Weighing 17 lbs., the Flowtron Shredder is portable and easy to use.
This leaf shredder has quite a smooth and friendly design. An important thing that you need to remember is that it is a leaf shredder and not a mulcher.
It does leaf shredding very well, because of its powerful universal motor. It reduces the waste up to 1/30 of its original size. This leaf shredder is also portable and weighs only 17 lbs.
It has the full one-bushel capacity and adjustable particle size from 8 to 1 down to 30 to 1 reduction. Also, it has an on/off switch with a unique 'motor air intake system' and a removable air filter. Plus, a circuit breaker equipped with a reset button for overload protection. It comes with a One Year Warranty.
Flowtron's Leaf-Eater Mulcher/Shredder recycles yard and garden waste into nutrient-rich mulch fast. Thereby ready for disposal or recycling as compost. It's powered by regular household current. Also, it features special positions for leaves (coarse to fine), grass, thatch, and pine needles. Save money on expensive trash bags today and garbage pick-ups by utilizing this fantastic product.
|The motor has overload protection in case of malfunction.||Makes a lot of noise, ensure that you have protective gear.|
|Reduces the size of waste by up to 80%.||It can spit out a lot of debris if it's overworked.|
|It is not so difficult to assemble.|
|Although it is a leaf shredder, it can also sometimes mulch.|
|It has a big hopper so you can put it a lot of leaves. Don’t overwork it, though.|
- It opens and closes in less than a minute. Thus, using a simple hand crank that operates smoothly and quietly.
- It comes inclusive of extensive installation hardware. It does not need any wires or wiring.
- Electric leaf shredder and mulcher.
- Easily replaceable cutting cords with extras supplied with each unit.
- It clocks a weight of 17 pounds, it comes with a one year warranty
- and is easy to move from place to place.
|It works great for bone-dry leaves.||Assembling this product is not very user-friendly.|
|You can get the work done noiselessly.|
The WORX TURBINE FUSION is the fastest way to clean your yard! This mulcher has a powerful Turbine Technology and a patented All-in-one tube system. It blows, vacs, and mulches debris and leaves very fast and easy. Even Better, TURBINE Fusion is ergonomically designed and less than 10 lbs.
- Three-in-one single tube system: blower, mulcher, and yard vacuum, at 10 pounds.
- TURBINE fan technology delivers a powerful, high-capacity 525 CFM at 65 MPH.
- The dual-stage metal impeller will shred about any typical yard debris. It has a 24:1 mulch ratio for leaves and needles.
- 2-speed control ensures you are well taken care of during light and or heavy-duty jobs around the yard.
- The mulcher also comes with a shoulder strap and a leaf collection bag. It has the manufacturer's 3-year warranty.
Cleaning your yard after cutting the lawn or after the leaves have fallen can be time-consuming and tiring.
The WORX Turbine Fusion makes these tasks easier and does it all with one tool.
|When the bag is already attached, it turns into a vacuum instead of a blower.||Although we love its light nature, this lightness gives it a low center of gravity. And the machine has been known to topple when bumped into.|
|It moves leaves well in blower mode.|
|It is not noisy.|
It has a leaf mulching ratio of 1/18th. Also, the design of the mulcher is angled so that you can reach under your deck to clear the leaves without effort.
- 3-in-one design: blower, mulcher & vacuum.
- With the flip of a switch, it converts from vacuum to blower mode.
- Two-stage metal impeller with a shredder blade provides an 18:1 mulch ratio.
- Its controlled variable speed dial aids for large debris blowing and for hard to reach corners.
- The airflow can also be easily adjusted from 75 to 210 mph.
- The quick-release button makes cleaning debris as easy as ever.
|It is so easy to maneuver during use, and its weight is also quite light.||The extension cord could be a bit longer to give you more maneuverability.|
|It is easy to switch between blower mode and vacuum mode; in fact, it requires no tools.||The vacuum bag is somewhat difficult to remove.|
|The vacuum suction power is quite powerful.||The blower functionality could be a little stronger.|
The Black and Decker BV5600 is an electric leaf mulcher that has three functions. It acts as a blower, a vacuum, and a leaf mulcher.
- Includes a 12 amp motor. Versatile 3-in-1 blower, vacuum, and mulcher.
- Air speeds up to 250 MPH blower, that is capable of clearing leaves and debris with ease.
- It is quiet when operating it.
- Its high impact metal fan prevents clogging of the system when mulching.
- It also has a leaf mulching ratio of 16:1.
- 2 Speed selections one high speed for packed leaves
- and the other moderate one, for use on flower beds.
- Greater efficiency.
- It also switches between vacuum and blower mode fast.
- Its built-in cord retainer keeps the extension fixed in place while you work.
The BV5600 can act as both a vacuum and a blower, a functionality that enables the BV5600 blow air out or suck it in. When it blows the air outwards, it pushes the leaves further from you and clears the ground in this way.
When it draws the air inwards, the leaves get sucked in through the aid of the vacuum tube. But because large leaves can block the system, this mulcher incorporates a high impact metal fan. The fan cuts up the leaves upon impact into tiny itsy bitsy pieces, and your mulch is ready, voila!
Face it! Leaves get wet and clump together. This above makes them hard to suck up. So where most mulchers fail, the BV5600 uses a turbo nozzle that has a pivoting action. This action loosens the leaves, and the unit then sucks them in.
The BV5600 can grind up 16 bags of leaves and turn it into one bag of mulch! This mulcher saves a lot of your storage space in your garage.
|Very easy to use||It can be a little noisy working with it|
|It comes with a built-in cord retainer|
- Powerful, 12 Amp, 2-speed Blower/Vac/Mulcher.
- Metal impeller for 16:1 mulching ratio.
- Airspeed 160-250 mph and 400 CFM air volume.
- Simple tool-free assembly and one-touch Blower/Vac conversion
The twin speed adjustments allow for more control when needed. It also comes with 385 CFM air volume and up to 250 mph airspeed. The WG518 is practical for clearing patios, decks, driveways, small yards, and many more. This 12.0 Amp blower vac is also compatible with the WORX Leaf collection system hose attachment (WG4054.1).
|This device’s functionality is as powerful as those of a gas leaf mulcher. Thereby, making it a competitive device.||During the use of this mulcher to vacuum wet leaves, the fan usually becomes clogged.|
|It is easy to surf through the different modes i.e. vacuum and blower and also switch the leaf litter bag when needed.|
The Sun Joe also features:
- A maintenance-free system as there are no gas, oil, or tune-ups required.
- It is most suitable for small to mid-sized lawns.
- It possesses a detachable grass catcher for easy disposal
- Has a powerful 12-amp motor cuts a 15-inch wide path
- And comes with a full two-year warranty which is quite a relief.
It comes equipped with a detachable 9.3 gallon rear bag for quick and easy disposal. The unit is ETL-approved.
The handle does not fold down over the mower, but can be taken apart for storage. The mower itself weighs 30.4 pounds, which is pretty light compared to some of the other electric mowers.
Carrying it into storage, is easy, depending on the situation. Even though it's plastic, you shouldn't leave it outside to be safe. The handle is metallic - do not expose it to the elements it won't rust.
|It is easy to use.||The handle is not padded|
|It is quiet.|
|It comes with a 2-year warranty.|
|It is easy to empty the grass catcher.|
The safety instructions the Remington comes with are as follows;
- Never operate the device without the vacuum bag attached. This is because the debris gets sucked up under high pressure. Without a vacuum bag to break the impact, they could hurt anyone the strike.
- Do not vacuum-clean sharp objects that can cause the vacuum bag to rip.
- The RM193BVT is designed to clean soft leaves and cut grass. Do not use it to vacuum hard objects like acorns, sticks, and rocks.
- Do not force the vacuum pipe directly into a pile of debris. This could cause the pipe to get clogged. If the pipe gets clogged, remember to switch off the device before cleaning it.
It also features a leaf reduction ratio of 14:1 (14 bags down to 1).
|It has a high speed (2-speed blower)||Changing from vac to blower or blower to vac takes a little muscle but is very easy to do.|
|Its ability to pulverizes small branches to a pulp.||The vacuum bag is flawed. The material is porous. Leaf dust has been known to seep through the bag when the product is in use.|
|The suction power of the vacuum is excellent and perfect for sucking up leaves and small debris.|
|There are different handle options for the vacuum/blower.|
Raking and collecting the leaves is, for want of a better word, an onerous task. Purchasing the right leaf mulcher is an investment in time and resources that will pay off once you get one.
However, if you want the fastest way to collect the leaves, I can highly recommend our Best Leaf Blower.